Hard ceramic is a ceramic product that was not only developed for wear protection. It is also used wherever surfaces need especially good sliding properties.
MANUFACTURE AND PROPERTIES
The base materials for the manufacture of hard ceramics are high-grade clays, kaolins, feldspars, and pure quartz sand. These materials are finely ground and mixed according to a defined recipe to form a ceramic mass with very high wear resistance properties. The controlled production process safeguards the excellent properties of the hard ceramic, such as:
- High abrasion resistance
- High compressive strength and resistance to nearly all acids and alkalis (with the exception of hydrofluoric acids and their compounds)
- Very good thermal shock resistance
- Temperature resistance up to +500°C
- Frost resistant and corrosion free
- Extremely smooth surface, thus preventing bulk materials from caking, bridging, and clogging
In addition to wear resistance, a smooth surface is frequently important. For these applications, an additional special glazing is applied to the hard ceramic tiles from the Th. Scholten GmbH & Co. KG.
The result is that their technical properties far exceed the minimum requirements specified for hard ceramic tiles in DIN 18155 and offer economic advantages compared to alternative, more expensive ceramic materials.
We recommend the use of this special hard ceramic for all situations in which there is a medium level of abrasive wear and a high smoothness and lower weight of the wear protection material are decisive factors.