Cast basalt is a mineral material produced by melting natural basalt at a temperature of approximately 1300°C, followed by casting into moulds. This contributes to its superb physical and chemical properties.
Technical properties of cast basalt:
- Tested and confirmed by the MFPA Leipzig (Material Research and Testing Institute for the building industry).
- All parameters relevant to the area of water management were reached or even greatly exceeded (test report PB 1.1/15-056-8 issued on 26/01/2016 is available upon request)
- Chemical resistance to nearly all acids and alkalis
- Frost resistance
- Zero water absorption
- Complete corrosion resistance
- Compressive and abrasive resistance
- Smooth surface
- Mohs hardness = 8 (for comparison: dental enamel = 5, diamond = 10)
- Can be used at pH values between 3 and 13
- Pure natural substance, which means that it is non-toxic and is not hazardous to the environment or groundwater
- Superbly suitable as anti-slip tiles for floors (different formats and structures), stairs (format 300 x 200 x 30 mm), and skirting (various lengths, heights, and thicknesses)
Cast basalt, as a natural, non-toxic substance, is not hazardous to the environment or groundwater.
RANGE OF PRODUCTS – CAST BASALT:
The Th. Scholten GmbH & Co. KG offers a wide range of standard channels and formpieces made of cast basalt for different channel shapes:
Channels and formpieces for sewage drains (Prague format)
- Channels with and without lock
- Channel with side elements (a lock is used to join side elements together to form a channel and to align adjoining side elements)
Channels for egg-shaped sewage drains with the format W:H = 2:3
This channel format is frequently used to line the bottom of channel. If the sewer sides are to be lined as well, standard cast basalt formpieces are used.
- Channel elements, which are used as floor drainage for shaft floors or for lining stretches, for example.
- Thicknesses from 20 to 25 mm
- Length 500 mm
Radial formpieces can be used for a variety of purposes
- Thicknesses of 23 and 30 mm
- Length 250 mm
- For the brick lining of shafts, walls and other sewer surfaces (bricks, edges and half-edges, wedges, tiles, and channels)
- Length 250 mm
Anti-slip tiles and skirting sections
Anti-slip tiles are frequently required in walk-in sewer sections.
- Square (dimensions, for example: 200x200x23 mm, 250x250x23 mm, 197x197x23 mm)
- Hexagonal (dimensions, for example: Ø230×40 mm, Ø200×40 mm)
- Staircase steps (dimensions, for example: 200x230x23 mm)
Skirting: L-Sections provide a neat finish and are available in the following sizes:
- Width: 250 and 230 mm
- Height: e.g. 200, 130, or 90 mm
- Thicknesses: 20, 22, and 36 mm
- Width: 340, 250, and 200 mm
- Height: 75 mm
- Thickness: 15 mm
Generally, any formpieces specifically shaped for a project can be manufactured or cast. The corresponding mold costs are only incurred once.
Cast basalt is a renowned material for the lining of spiral troughs in purification plants – an economical, permanent solution against wear, corrosion, and chemical stresses. For example, after many years of positive experience in a large purification plant near Cologne, six further spiral troughs were lined with the patented system from the Th. Scholten GmbH & Co. KG.